Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Holidays (Part 2: America)

America: So after a good bit of traveling I finally made it the good ol’ US of A! Nate picked me up at the airport with about 5 layers to bundle myself with and a milkshake to go-talk about a good way to be picked up J I got home on Wednesday night, the night before Thanksgiving and was very warmly greeted by my awesome family! It was soooo good to see them! Thanksgiving morning came early and we headed out with the sun to make it to the York Turkey Trot for a Linde tradition of running with all of cousins before we eat. It was a solid-and very cold-race with maybe 20+ runners who were Lindes or came with a Linde! We ate the day away after that and it was D to the E to the LICIOUS! Of course, football was played as well and a game of tug-o-war of Lindes vs non-Lindes. Hahaha I couldn’t tell you who won either one but I watched with about 5 layers on from the sidelines. I came out with one jacket on but within 20 min as relatives kept looking at me shivering, they would bring me another winter jacket to put on, guess I was more acclimated to Kenyan weather than I thought. The rest of the familys Thanksgiving break was filled with family and food-a most excellent combination! I also got to see BekBek hand over her Miss Solanco crown and perform one last time, which was pretty awesome since I missed last year when she was crowned. I spend the next few days seeing a few friends, running and just hanging out with the family. From Thursday to Sunday I went on a college tour with Sarah. We started off seeing BekBekBek at Messiah and went to a cool church singing thing, Power House, after eating at the cafeteria and we ran in the morning when she was at class. It’s a solid college and seems like the perfect fit for little Beks even if it still a bit weird to think that she’s now starting her 2nd semester already! I was really happy I got to see her there and meet a few of her friends. We left in the morning, the 3 of us, for PSU to see Stephen. He lives in a house with a few other Navigator guys who all see pretty darn cool. We hung out in his house and cooked lunch and dinner together while also playing a few board games. I also got to witness some of their talents as the practiced for the talent show that evening. Beks and Stephen did a ring toss type thing, Sarah played her violin and Stephen along with 2 of his roomies saying a trio mashup including Davey Jones and Amazing Gace. It was hilarious!! Nate came to pick me up that night to travel back to JC so I could be there for Madrigal the next day. I was able to run with 3 JCXC girls in the morning and then go on a date with Nate for the first time in over 14 months! We ate some super delish Standing Stone sandwiches and then headed out in the cold to explore town. We walked to my old church and saw the nativity scene walk around display and then afterwards we found something else awesome in town. We wandered around ready to head back to watch a Christmas movie before getting ready for the evening when we realized that Huntingdon was having a Christmas parade! Say what?! We had no idea that existed but it lasted between 20 and 30 min and we saw 2 HS bands, some police cars, floats with various Christmas themes and someone dressed as a moose with no explanation. It was pretty random and pretty great. Our day ended with Madrigal as we ate with 3 other couples and a JCXC freshman at Mimis, the classiest place in Huntingdon before hanging out at the dance and the off campus where Nate lives with 2 other guys. It was fun night to dress up and be fashionable in a way I hadn’t been in a looong time! I had gotten a dress made in Kenya with a tie made from the bottom of my dress so we matched perfectly-I loved it. The college tour ended with us driving back to PSU with our friend Kate to see Beka and a JCXC guy, Park, run a half marathon. It was a lot of fun because we ended up having 5 people to cheer for (Bek, her 2 friends, Park and Lugg (both JCXC). We drove back to good ol’ Solanco after the race and it was good we left right away because it ended up snowing a good bit-so much that Solanco had a snow day the next day! My last few days in America was great since my family had a snow day and delay so I got more time to spend with them.
Overall, I ate lots of delish food, saw lots of family and friends and although I was in shock at times with parts overwhelming-it was a grrrreat trip! The most shocking part for me was being in Walmart. There is one store here called ‘Nakumatt’ which is bigger and has a fair amount of stuff in it-but it is not really comparable to Walmart. The grocery store was also a bit overwhelming so I only went once with a list in my hand. The differences in food color, freshness, size and price is crazy! The other thing that blew me away was how I’d forgotten how many different varieties of one food type there are. For example, in Walmart I saw 10 different types of Oreos-how and why?! Or how can there be an entire looong aisle of cereal? I cant even buy cereal in Sipili. I have to travel 1.5 hours to my banking town and then I have 3 options-all expensive though so I never buy it. Another thing I noticed was transportation. I was surprised at how many cars travel with one or two people in them and how much I appreciate the public transportation available in Kenya. Some days I don’t but most I do. The matatus (14-16 passenger vans) wait to fill up before they leave so that they are always traveling with the maximum capacity (even if that means when I travel to Sipili-25+ people in the van). It’s also nice that I can get public transportation to anywhere in the country-even small towns like mine have it available. Lastly, it was crazy how many things had changed in the past 14 months. My family redid the floors, added a walk-in freezer and my sisters grew a foot each it seemed. I saw new buildings when we traveled places and there seemed to be new technology everywhere. It made me think about when I come back to America for good and how many things I’ll have to readjust to. I try not to think about all of the things that are going to be on my ‘to-do list’ for moving back but in a few months I suppose I will have to start. Oy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment