Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Holidays (Part 1: Zambia)


Hello Hello Hello Friends and Family!

I know it’s been for-ev-er since I’ve written but so much has been going on and I haven’t stopped to write to you all. Since the last time I’ve update my blog I have traveled to Zambia, America and then back here to Kenya with my boyfriend so I’m going to break this up into 3 sections.

Zambia: I was lucky enough to have the chance to visit Zambia where my cousin Clarissa was a teacher (and will be again next year I just found out) at the Village of Hope. I love that my family loves to travel and we have become a bit international. I originally thought Clarissa would only be there for one year and so I wanted to make sure I visited her before the year was up since we are in almost neighboring countries. She visited me in August when my sister Sarah was here and now it was my turn. I left a week after my school ended and flew down to be with her for about 4 days. She lives in the Western province in a town called Mongu. I caught a ride with one of the missionaries who happened to be in the capital and we made it to Mongu around 9pm (I left my hotel for the airport at about 5am that day). We had about an 8 hour car ride together, lots of bonding haha and we ended up seeing a large pack of wild dogs! I had no idea that they were so rare to see-especially in bigger packs-but there they were-not even that skittish-sooo cool! I went to school with Clarissa the next day, Friday, and met all of the kids. They were practicing for the Christmas play and listening to their lines and songs was adorable! Their school is still in the building process, they add another grade every year and currently they have up to the 5th grade. It’s a wonderful school. In the afternoon we visited an agricultural place that hosted a field day that morning. When we arrived they decided to give us our own personal field day tour! It was great. We walked around and checked out cabbages, tomatoes, potatoes and lots of other vegetables along with variety demonstrations they planted to show different ways to increase quality and quantity of things. The tour ended with a ride on a New Holland tractor to check out the rice fields. I didn’t see that one coming! It was crazy to be on a tractor that was made so close to my home in PA! Over the weekend we relaxed, walked around town, checked out the market and went to church. It was very interesting and awesome to go to a church where I recognized one of the songs and the whole thing was in English. Mind blown. My last full day on Monday I went to school again and sat in on Clarissas class and then went back to bake and do laundry before leaving while she had some errands to run. It was a short trip but a good one for sure! It was soo cool to see her school and listen to her experiences. For sure there are differences between Kenya and Zambia but there are more similarities than Kenya and the US. It was nice to be able to talk to each other about cultural differences and understand what the other was talking about pretty completely. It also proved a good transition for me to America. She has an oven, a hot shower, a stove top and microwave, it was crazy! Her two roommates and her kept chuckling, as I would notice something else that I didn’t have in my house or hadn’t seen in a while and was surprised. It was a lot of fun. She lives in a beautiful place where the view is endless and the kids are endlessly cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment