Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Week One of Official Training: Check!


Habari ya asubuhi? (How is your (singular) morning? Ha-bar-ee/yah/ah-sue-boo-hi) I hope awesome! Things here are going well and the level of intensity is rising already. We found out last Friday when our language final is, our HIV/AIDS workshop, shadowing another volunteer and also when we have to do ‘model school’. That’s teaching at a deaf primary school for an entire week. After actually putting everything down on my calendar it became a bit overwhelming because there I just so much I have to learn and do in the next 9 weeks! This week we start extreme KSL language instruction-2-4 hours daily and then teaching instruction during our afternoons where we’ll learn how to make lesson plans and whatnot. The trainers here are all excellent and I know I’m in good hands…and they keep telling us not to worry; that they will prepare us the best that they can so we’re capable of teaching Deaf kids at the primary level (K-8) but worrying still most definitely happens!
Luckily, as overwhelming as it can be, emotions are a finicky thing and I soon find myself super excited to have this opportunity. I can’t wait to learn KSL and know more than a few words. I’m hoping my forgetful memory will kick in and start forgetting my limited ASL knowledge so I don’t mix the two languages up. I’m also excited/nervous to start learning how to actually teach. Ohhh my!
Ok, so, here’s an interesting tidbit I heard from my Host Mama:  She said that people from Tanzania are, (as a big generalization) seen as lazy by Kenyans and that Tanzanian people think that Kenyans rush around all the time and hurry everywhere!! Who knew that to some people, Kenyans ‘rush’! Hahaha Everything is relative J
Lastly, yesterday, we talked with the man in charge of placing us and we will officially know where we will be stationed by the end of next week! Whoa!! I have no idea where I will end up-it could be a town like Machakos or it could be as remote a town that they have to literally fly you there because the roads aren’t safe! I don’t have any big preferences on where I want to end up but I did try to mention that I’d love to be able to run if possible so we’ll see if that happens. I still need to figure out if I can run here/who will run with me…especially because there is a race in November I’d love to participate in if possible! Basically by the end of our chat, the verdict was that I’m pretty flexible and easy-going and I feel confident that he’ll place me in a place that he thinks is right for me.
Well, that’s my update as of now J And if there is something you’re curious about, just comment and I’ll try and answer in either another blog post or in the comment section but now I gotta roll because the kids want to plait my hair while they watch cartoons…works for me! J
p.s. Here are some pictures of my home for the next 9 weeks! I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment