Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Week One in Machakos


Sasa? Poa au fiti? I hope so J Sasa (saa-saa) is slang for how is it going, or “Wazzzup?” As Jos, our awesome Kiswahili trainer put it. Fiti (fee-tee) and poa (poe-ah) are the slang answers for good! Now you, like me, can be cool in Kenya ;)

Speaking of cool, I think it’s possible that my fashion is even looked at with suspicion across the globe. Hard to believe, I know. On Monday evening, after being with my host family for more than 24 hours, I had come home with them on Sunday afternoon and then saw them before I left for sessions on Monday morning as well as all Monday evening. Nothing said about my outfit. Then right before bed my Mama asked me if I knew that there was a mirror in my wardrobe J Hahahaha yep, always looking good. This morning in fact, she had to chase me down as I was leaving the gate because I had walked out in my shower slippers and had forgotten to change and ohhh, that would have been so so bad she said! (Slippers are plastic Old Navy-esque flip-flops that you wear whenever you are in your house-during your bath/shower and then the rest of the time too. I learned that the reason is so that you don’t track dust/mud (depending on the season) into the house after work or school and you wear them all morning because the floor is too cold otherwise.)

My host family, whom I will be with until I swear in come late December, is wonderful!! Edith is my Mama and she lives with her mom who is 80!! That alone is incredible considering they told us the average life expectancy is 45-55. She mostly just sits in the dining room watching everything happen and smiles basically the whole day. I have yet to see her not smiling. She has some sort of dementia and gets confused often but only speaks Kiswahili, which I have yet to master, and therefore I have only been able to greet her and smile back at her. Edith also lives with her middle daughter and her son who is only 4. He is soo cute but also only speaks Kiswahili so I’m hoping he’ll help me learn more. Her daughter is in Uganda now until Friday so I haven’t met her yet but I am excited to! She also has another grandchild who sometimes lives with her and she is only 11 but soo nice! She speaks excellent English and has helped correct all of my Kiswahili homework so far.

The food is great here because it reminds me of India and home J Ugali is Kenya’s staple food and is a thick, pretty tasteless porridge-y type of thing. I have only had it once so far so I can’t describe it very well but I know that I will probably eat a lot by the time I leave. So besides that, I have eaten a lot of rice, chapatti and potatoes as well as beef, chicken and cooked veggies. There are not any spices like India which is how it reminds me of home with our meat, potatoes and veggies but the chapatti, masala chai and fruit reminds me of India. I just found out Mango season is December/January! Yum!!
Classes are going well and we have them in this one hotel where we stayed our first night and so that means that I will be able to get Internet once a week when I venture out with my computer early before sessions start so I can write to you wonderful people J Score!

Sessions here are good and even though we have only had a few days thus far, they seem to be doing a good job: the security and medical people are so nice but are doing a terrific job at scaring all of us pretty well so that we take our malaria pills-stay alert-are cautious-and know that we all will probably get diarrhea-yayyy, how does that sound? ;) Our language facilitators are doing their best but we only get a crash course (one week) on Kiswahili and then next week we start learning KSL (Kenyan Sign Language). The rest of our trainers who are teaching us about teaching, development, volunteer roles and more are also doing a good job and the sessions are more interesting because you know that everything you learn is basically useful in some way. It’s great not having to take gen. ed’s here!

Time for Kiswahili class J Here is one last Kiswahili phrase to learn:
My Name is Elizabeth
“Jina langu ni Elizabeth”
Pronounced: “Gee-new laang-gu nee Elizabeth”

Lots of Kenyan Kisses,
Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment