Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Zany Zanzibar Trip: Part 2


Monday was a fully relaxing day on the beach. We took a walk and collected shells and just soaked in the sun. We also talked to guy about snorkeling the following day. And fun fact, that Monday was my 2.5 year anniversary with Nathaniel J Can’t hardly believe it!
Tuesday we met up with some other people at the beach at 8:30 ready to snorkel and relax on a boat all day. We had booked a day on the water, 8:30-3:30, boating out to an island to snorkel, eating lunch and returning to the beach. It was beautiful out and after a few stops along the coastline at other beaches; we had 20 tourists on the boat ready to roll. At 9:30 our luck ended that day. It started to rain and only let up for about 45 minutes the whole day until 5pm. And 2 of our girls were still pretty sick. As I said, luck was not on our side. We spent the first 2ish hours of rain on the top of the boat with only 2 tarps to cover us and the couple sitting near us. It was us against the elements hahaha. It rained pretty hard for maybe 30-45 min at one point and we were all convinced it was going to start hailing and we were only wearing bikinis, light tank tops and short shorts. Oy. We arrived near the island and everyone jumped off with our goggles and breathing thingies. It was my first time ever snorkeling and my experience only added to the laughter. I am blind as a bat without my glasses and I don’t have contacts with me here in Kenya so as I put the goggles on, I was fully relying on my friends to watch out for me. They were nice and did keep an eye on me but guess how many fish I saw in the one hour of snorkeling? Now before I tell you, I did hit a PR (personal record) since it was my first time and maybe I could convince you that I tried to see that many so that the next time I go, I’ll also get a PR…but the number I saw? A whopping TWO. Hahahaha oh the ridiculousness of sitting on a boat in the pouring rain all day to see two fish was not lost on us and we laughed about it the whole way home as we continued to get wet. We did enjoy a lovely lunch prepared by two of the Tanzanian men, of a large fresh fish, a vegetable salad type thing, oranges and rice-quite good! The night ended with a big game of Farkle that Deirdre had brought and cold showers since the hot water was out haha.
Wednesday Caitlin and I got up early to run on the beach and it was fun and good since we didn’t feel scandalous this time. However, beach running is still one of those things that always seems cool at first and then it fastly loses the appeal in my opinion….and I am definitely getting worse at English since arriving here. It took me about 5 minutes and a few rereads of that last sentence to figure out what was wrong and realize that the word ‘fastly’ does not exist haha. We hung around Stone town, got some souvenirs and ate ice cream. I also learned while roaming around town that Freddy Mercury once lived in Zanibar and now there is a restaurant named after him and plaque on the door of the house he used to live in. The ferry left at 3:30 and guess what movie they played-the fact that one was playing at all was crazy already-but they played ‘The Italian Job’! My brother loves that movie so much and because of his love for it, I have seen it a million times and love it as well. I was the only one who had seen it and so since the volume was turned completely down, I became the narrarator for my friends. Normally I try to only do that for my students but since the ferry felt like it was flying (we took the fast one back that only takes 1.5 hours instead of 3) and we were all sort of feeling a little bit seasick, it actually took our minds off of the ferry ride and we enjoyed the first half of the movie. That evening we had bad luck again. We had seen a discount thing in a magazine for the city on our way through town a few days before and all of us were excited for the deal. It said if you came in as a table of 4 ladies on a Wednesday night, you would each get a free glass of wine and 20% off if you got an entrĂ©e. We were hooked. It ended up being about 15 minutes outside of the city but we sat down at our table and asked our waiter about the deal. He asked the manager and it was a no-go. He claimed it should’ve been taken away from the magazine a few years ago and that it was originally made for their restaurant but they moved a few months ago and the deal doesn’t exist anymore. Same restaurant-just a different location-and it was in the most recent magazine and yet, nothing. We ate there anyways since we had gotten a taxi there and there weren’t really any other restaurants around. After paying we decided it didn’t matter, we were going to dance in a club or bar and have fun. We walked across the street a club that PC/Tanzania had suggested and there was only a large screen playing futbol. No dancing. No music. No nothing. We weren’t going to give up just yet. We found a taxi and asked him to take us to the best club in the city and after talking it through with a few of his taxi friends, they all suggested the same place. We arrive and the person at the door says there is an 8000Tsh cover charge (about 400Kenyan shillings or a little less than $5) but it was only  Wednesday night and after we looked in we saw maybe 10 people in there…with slow chill music playing! No dancing to be had. So we went back to our hotel and passed out.
Thursday was my day to get sick. Thankfully no giardia but similar symptoms. We walked around the city for an hour as we waited for the Subway to open at 9am hahaha. We had our priorities. With Subway bags in our hands we climbed aboard yet another bus. It was 10:30am and we didn’t leave until 12:30…and didn’t stop for a restroom until 6:45pm. All I have to say is thank goodness for Pepto Bismol. We didn’t arrive in Arusha until midnight but our hotel reception was very thankfully awake and could let us in which was all we wanted and were worried about. We got a little less than 6 hours of sleep before waking up to get ready to ride another bus. This was the point where we split up. Deirdre and I went on a bus to Nairobi while Caitlin and Eva were going to Eastern Kenya so they opted for a different route. Smart move. Our bus left at 8 and was smooth sailing until we reached Nairobi. Even the border crossing was fine. We also rode the bus with a English guy who was in the midst of traveling from South Africa all the way up to Kenya/Uganda/Rwanda, pretty cool. Then we hit Nairobi. Freakin’ Nairobi. We sat in traffic for maybe an hour and a half-at 2pm-partly because there is ALWAYS traffic and partly because they are cracking down on foreigners and were doing random passport stops with everyone on certain roads. Nairobi is getting worse and the police are trying to crack down on things there. We got off the bus around 2:30ish, hopped in a taxi to take us to a matatu stage going towards Nakuru. We just couldn’t get enough of transportation this vacation ;) We hit traffic again going out to Nakuru which rarely happens and it ended up taking an hour longer to get there than usual.
Saturday was the last day of our travels. We got breakfast at one chain coffee house they have there and I treated myself for my Birthday that was in two days. I got a slice of warm apple pie, a mocha milkshake and a bagel with CREAM CHEESE! I don’t even think I ate cream cheese when I visited the USA last year for 2 weeks, which means it’s been over 1.5 years since I’ve eaten a bagel or cream cheese and it was amazing. Our waitress gave me a bit of a funny look bringing me pie and a milkshake at 9am but it was sooo worth it! We hit up the clothing piles next and Deirdre and I got some good deals/finds! She ended up with a bunch of cute dresses she can wear at school and I found a pair of hot pink corduroy trousers for only 500Bob ($5ish) as well as dark red trousers with black polka dots on them for the same price-whabam! And I’m not sure if my sisters know yet but recently I found one of my best finds yet-a pair of hot pink heels that are actually my size and were only 900Bob!! I’ve been on a search for these heels for years and I always think I’ve found them to bring them home and realize they are too small and I have to give them to my sisters. Well worry no more, they’ve been found J After shopping I left Nakuru and made it home at last. It felt so so so good to be back in Sipili.
That was one thing Deirdre and I talked about-how good it felt to back in Kenya. Yes, Tanzania and Kenya are neighboring countries and yes, they have many of the same tribes and speak Kiswahili, but they’re different and Kenya feels like home. It felt right.
That’s the end of my traveling story and here we are at the end of break. School officially starts on Wednesday, tomorrow, and the students will start slowly rolling back in. It is also the rainy season though it doesn’t feel like it as we are in deep need of rain. W have gotten two itsy bitsy sprinkles in the past 2 and a half weeks and we would really appreciate it if you guys would spread some of the rain love since according to Facebook pictures, it appears there is plenty on the east coast, USA right now. Thanks guys. The last thing is that this weekend I get to go to Nakuru where I will meet up with all of the Deaf Education volunteers and a counterpart from every school to start planning for Camp Uwezo. This will be my first year attending and I’m very excited to hear what it’s all about. All I know is that it is a Camp strictly for the Deaf and we will each bring 1-4 of our students to attend the Camp later in Term 2. It’s going to be great!
I’m sorry for this post being so long and I hope you are all off to a great start in May!!
Many kisses from Kenya,
Zabet

Ps. For any volunteers reading this past, present, future or if you want a glimpse in our lives, here is a funny link that is being spread around right now: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/26/signs-you-served-peace-corps_n_5023578.html

No comments:

Post a Comment