Saturday, November 9, 2013

My Kenya by the Numbers


I’ve been thinking about this past year and I love stats and wanted to share some that I’ve thought of with you all…my Peace Corps Kenya experience thus far in numbers:

Number of…

  • Names I’ve accumulated since arriving: 4 (Zabet, Mwende-my Kikamba name that my host family in Machakos gave me, Nwera-my Kikukyu name that my co-teachers game me and ‘color’ is my KSL name)
  • Lindes who have visited Sipili: 2
  • Different classes/subjects I’ve taught: 5
  • Elephants I’ve seen: 1
  • Longest time without using a restroom: 18 hours
  • Times I’ve mopped: 3
  • Longest amount of days I’ve gone without bathing: 8
  • Letters I’ve sent: 223
  • Average hours of sleep each night: 9
  • Milkshakes I’ve tried: probably around 10 ….milkshakes that have tasted like the ones I grew up with: 0
  • Times I’ve known what was happening at school before it happened: Very few
  • Marriage proposals: Between 5 and 7 I think
  • Most crickets caught within my little house: 5 in 90 min…now I don’t even bother, we’re friendly to each other now
  • Pineapples carved like pumpkins: 2
  • Cups of chai/day: 2-3 on average
  • Longest ceremony attended: 4.5 hours
  • Consecutive days that potatoes were my main meal: 7
  • Days without seeing an American in person (and only skyping once): 45
  • Most letters I’ve received on 1 day: 8
  • Days I’ve shaved my legs: 0
  • ‘Wedding’ rings I’ve bought to show that Nate & I are ‘truly’ married & I’m taken: 3…total cost? $8
  • Weeks school was missed: 3.5 (strike) + 2 (elections/consolidation)
  • Hot showers: less than I can count on my fingers and toes
  • Choco-chip cookie variations I’ve made up: 14
  • Terms of teaching I’ve completed: 3
  • Kids I’ve had knock on my door between 6 & 6:30am to return a magazine, get triple antibiotic ointment for a cut I can barely see or to just say hi: countless!
  • Students who’ve stolen my heart: 78 :)

1 comment:

  1. Mrs Elizabeth your awesome. today in Maryland its 37 degree smells like winter

    ReplyDelete