Monday, July 15, 2013

Sarah Is In Da House


Hello friends J
I am sitting here blasting ‘Stronger’ by Britney Spears for my sister who is taking her first cold shower in Kenya. It’s cracking us both up but she’s surviving it I think J
It’s so wonderful and different to have a visitor…my sister…here with me in Kenya!! She arrived here on Saturday after a long day of traveling. I met her in Nyahururu and we traveled back to Sipili together. We have been together for 4 days already and it’s fantastic! She looked up a lot of recipes to try and dinner is always delicious. Yesterday we went to school together and introduced her to all of my students. Sarah now has 65+ first names, last names and sign names to learn J They are all super pumped that she is here and that they have someone new to show all of their tricks and tell all of their stories to! We went running in the afternoon and I got the highest attendance in running since it was last made mandatory! Hey, whatever it takes J She also got her whole head in braids and practiced some of her gymnastics in the afternoon with them! Sarah is picking up sign language really quickly and they were teaching her new signs all day yesterday. It was an entertaining day and I know they’re all happy she’ll be here until the end of term, just like me!

Strike update:  KNUT teachers have now officially been on strike for 3 full weeks and we’re entering the 4th. Sunday there was a meeting where everyone thought they would settle the agreement between KNUT and the government but it was not to be had. The government said they’d give them the money in 3 segments but KNUT doesn’t think they’ll follow through so they said no thanks, try again please. So we will just keep on waiting to see what happens this week-everyone cross your fingers that they find a happy ending to this all so everyone wins and it can get settled soon! J

Update on my life since the 4th, I traveled to Maralal for the first time last weekend and it was awesome. It took me 5 hours to get there and 6 hours to get back to Sipili but it was worth it. I saw my first camels in Kenya as well as some zebras & antelopes. I also tasted the best ice cream I’ve had since arriving in Kenya!!! That was the first stop we made and I fell in love. It’s a youth business initiative and the ice cream is homemade and utterly delicious ;) I saw the sunrise, climbed a hill called ‘Big Rock’, hung out with 3 other PCVs living in the area and had a great 4th of July picnic! Overall it was a short but fun trip and a great break in the strike.

The other exciting thing that happened recently was that my students and I finished painting the first coat of paint for all of the countries on our map!!!! I was literally jumping up and down and waving my hands around when we got it completed! Now we have to write all of the names of the countries in, paint a 2nd coat on all of the countries, make a compass as well as paint ‘Africa’ on top of it. But at least when people walk past they can see all of the countries and it has taken shape. My favorite part of the map is that I had each student from Class 4, 5, 6 & 7 (minus 3 students) as well as 4 of the 6 vocational students paint at least one country. They looooved painting it and were so excited to learn which country was theirs to paint. The map is now theirs and they can take ownership of it. It will be here for a long time and it’s something they can look at, learn from and remember. I’m incredibly excited about it all!

Lastly, a sports update. I don’t know how much running related news you all read or how much running news has been in the paper recently but the front page of the Sports section yesterday was all about the World Youth Championships in Ukraine. And since I’m guessing most of you don’t hear too much news on athletics, here ya go! Kenya finished second overall at the Championships only to Jamaica! Jamaica got 8 medals but they won since they got more golds. Kenya scored a gold in the womens 3000, mens 800, womens steeplechase and mens 1500! Ethiopia was 3rd with 8 medals and USA scored 5th. Another cool part about the meet was that Biwott who won the 1500 broke the Championship record by .01 seconds at 3:36.77. Isaack had the record of 3:36.78 since 2001 when it was in Hungary and it was finally broken. I was very excited to read about all the track news in the paper and it always makes my day. Next month in the middle of August are the World Championships in Russia and so we’ll see what Kenya, Ethiopia and the USA bring to the table.

I hope you all are having a fantastic July, a sensational summer and you’re enjoying not going to school like me, oy.
Many many kisses from both Sarah and me J
Zabet

No comments:

Post a Comment