Friday, June 28, 2013

Striiiiiiiiiiiiiike! The Teachers Are Out.


Why Hello Everyone J
 It’s a beautiful Friday and there are some things to blog about. I just want to put it out there right in the beginning that Peace Corps remains apolitical and I just want to inform you all on what’s going on here in Kenya but I’m not taking a side.
Tuesday started the teacher’s strike here in Kenya and as of this afternoon it’s still going on. There is a long history behind it and I’ve tried to gather as many details as I could. This is what I’ve learned from a few teachers at my school and the Daily Nation Newspaper.
Ok, so the majority of teachers in Kenya are under the TSC (Teachers Service Commission) and those are the teachers on strike. Way back in 1997 the Kenya National Union of Teachers (KNUT) talked to the government and basically had an agreement that the government would pay them higher allowances and a higher basic pay. The negotiation after the talk in ’97 was that teachers pay would be raised by 105% and 200%. They said 5 allowances would also be offered: medical, responsibility, special, hardship and commuter. The deal was to be implemented over a period of 5 years with effect from 1997 but only the basic pay was raised. So the government didn’t follow through completely and the allowances are now the basis for the strike going on. They are asking for a 50% increase on their allowances. There are 278,000 teachers on payroll that are now on strike and these teachers are demanding 47 billion shillings. The amount of learners hurt by this strike? “9 million pupils to be affected in more than 20,000 public primary schools and 1.8 million students to be affected in more than 7,000 public secondary schools”! That’s astounding! Speaking of astounding, in one article it said this was the 7th strike to go on since ’97 all about this same agreement. I just hope it doesn’t go on very long and that the government actually follows through this time. Last year there was a strike in September, which lasted 3 weeks!
The other aspect of this strike goes to what President Kenyatta promised in his campaign. He told Kenyans that every child going into Class 1 in a public school would get a laptop. Now as you can imagine that would cost a fair amount of money. The teachers think that he shouldn’t spend the money on the laptops for the children because they are the ones teaching them and they need more money to get by/they were already promised the money a long time ago. The government is now stuck between keeping the promise of the laptops everyone is so excited about and stopping the strike and finally paying the teachers what they were promised 16 years ago. We shall see what happens.
How this has affected my life in Sipili? All of the teachers at my school are under the TSC. So they’re all at home or at least they’re not in school. However, our students are all still here. My headmaster was here on Wednesday and Thursday and thankfully my deputy has come in every day and will continue doing so. They know that if we tell the parents to come pick up their children, 2 things will happen to most of them. 1. They won’t get picked up and 2. Once they go home, they’ll stay home until Term 3 begins. So the kids stay. Since I am not on strike and I live on the compound so I’m here already, I have taught a few classes to keep their minds busy. The three of us (my headmaster, the deputy and me) decided to split up the school into 3 sections (little ones, classes 4 & 5 and classes 6 & 7) so that we could teach lessons here and there to them. I was assigned Classes 4 & 5 and we’ve been doing lots of spelling and sign practice J The high school next door to us is still in session because although the TSC members are at home, the BOG (Board of Governors) teachers are still there and have split up the work. The primary school on the other side of us is also still in session because they have assigned their PTA members to teach. I know a lot of schools have shut down because they’re not boarding/special schools and they are dominated by TSC members. It’s different for every school on the action they’re taking but since we’re a special school, at least one teacher needs to be around and they can’t stop us from teaching occasionally.
I will keep you all updated on how things turn out but hopefully this upcoming week, they’ll have sorted everything out and schools will be up and running again across Kenya!
On a different note, I found an interesting article in the paper the other day that I wanted to share. Kenya is listed among 8 sub-Saharan African countries with the least number of new HIV infections among children! The new infections have been reduced by more than 50%! The other countries include: Ethiopia, Botswana, Ghana, Malawi, Namibia, South Africa and Zambia. They said (the new report from Geneva, Switzerland) that it was due to the fact that more pregnant women living with HIV were receiving ARV medication to prevent transmission to their children. The report said that Kenya doubled the numbers of children accessing treatment between 2009 & 2012. Botswana and South Africa reduced their HIV-transmission rates to 5% and below! Lastly, they said that there are 130,000 fewer new HIV infections in 21 African countries, a drop of 38% since 2009. I thought that was a pretty cool article J
I hope you are all having a fabulous June and have fun plans for the 4th of July! I am hoping to travel up to Maralal to visit with 3 PCVs working there and 1 more that is traveling in like me. It should only be a 4-5 hour trip so I can get a solid nap in on the matutu ride next weekend. And I’m throwing it out there that my sister is now officially in KENYA!!!! I won’t see her for 2ish weeks since she’s working on the coast first but I’m super duper excited to see her!!!!

Kisses from Kenya,
Lizbeth

No comments:

Post a Comment