Saturday, December 8, 2012

One More Week of Training!


Week 9 of training is completed and I have one week to go! The big news from this past week was that we had our language final on Monday. I kind of nervous since our test was on KSL and they told us that if we used ASL it might take down our score a little bit. We had been taught KSL for the past 8 weeks but during model school we didn’t get much language practice and a lot of the students there use a big mixture of ASL with KSL. However, all worked out in the end and all nine of us passed with an Intermediate score or higher. Intermediate was what we needed to pass and that was what I got-I’m happy! If we didn’t pass then we wouldn’t be sent home but we would be put on probation I believe and would have to get tutoring hours while at site. Now I just gotta learn the village sign and the ASL that my students use J
My only other news is that I got my first dress made for me and now I have something a bit fancier to wear besides the 7 outfits I’ve been wearing for the past 9 weeks for our swearing in ceremony! It’s got a zebra print and it’s a pale yellow with black stripes/zebras….hard to explain but I’ll post pictures at some point of swearing in and then you’ll see it J
Other than that, most of our sessions this week were fine. Everyone is ready to be done with lectures and go to site. Next week we leave our host families on Tuesday, have our host family appreciation lunch with all the families in Machakos on Wednesday and then we head out for Nairobi on Wednesday afternoon. I’m sad to be leaving my family but glad to know that I can come visit them on my breaks. They said anyone that comes to visit me is more than welcome to visit Machakos so they can meet you! We will then meet up with our supervisors once in Nairobi and have some sessions on last minute details we might need to know for the next day and a half. The big day is Friday when we will be sworn in as volunteers!!!!!!! Can’t even believe it!! Then Saturday we all head out in the morning for our sites…on matatus…with alllllll of our stuff…just us and our supervisors-who we’ve just met…for potentially loooong trips…to our new homes for the next 2 years! WHOA!! Let the craziness ensue!
Also, this means I have a new address which I updated on the side if you want to send me mail J

No comments:

Post a Comment